While teaching on Paul’s strategy on establishing the new churches in Acts 14:21-23, I refuted the prosperity gospel. I asked the church, “Job suffered. As today’s many prosperity preachers reason for any suffering, was it because 1) of his lack of faith? or 2) of his sin? or 3) someone did witchcraft against him?” Then I added the names of some prophets, Psalmist (37; 73), James, Paul, Peter, Sadhu Sunder Singh, Graham Stain and his two sons and the heroes of faith (Hebrews 11 last part). For every name, they repeatedly said, “NO.”
Then I asked them how many of them had and now are having problems, sufferings, health issues. Almost all of them honestly raised their hands. I repeated the same 3-point formula of prosperity gospel preachers: Is it due to your lack of faith?; or your sin?; or some-one witchcraft against you?. They all laughed and said “NO.”
I conclude that there is no simple one-word answer and only one universal formula for everybody and for every issue. Though we are saved and transformed, we still live in this fallen world and among the fallen people, but not as partakers, but as the messengers.
Though we may face many sufferings and problems, we have the LORD, who is the Victor, is sufficient to us even in our sufferings, wants, sickness; the Spirit of the LORD strengthens us to face the problems. Moreover, our LORD provides us the way to get out of it as His faithful and obedient children.
At the end of the worship, a middle aged lady, a good believer, confessed with joy that while coming to the worship service, she was disturbed by thinking of her family problems, if they were due to her lack of faith, his sin or someone witch crafting. She rejoiced saying that, the sermon is prophecy for her.
Please note, Never the prosperity gospel, but the apostolic gospel and teaching increase the faith in Christ and establish the believers in the Word.
Then I asked them how many of them had and now are having problems, sufferings, health issues. Almost all of them honestly raised their hands. I repeated the same 3-point formula of prosperity gospel preachers: Is it due to your lack of faith?; or your sin?; or some-one witchcraft against you?. They all laughed and said “NO.”
I conclude that there is no simple one-word answer and only one universal formula for everybody and for every issue. Though we are saved and transformed, we still live in this fallen world and among the fallen people, but not as partakers, but as the messengers.
Though we may face many sufferings and problems, we have the LORD, who is the Victor, is sufficient to us even in our sufferings, wants, sickness; the Spirit of the LORD strengthens us to face the problems. Moreover, our LORD provides us the way to get out of it as His faithful and obedient children.
At the end of the worship, a middle aged lady, a good believer, confessed with joy that while coming to the worship service, she was disturbed by thinking of her family problems, if they were due to her lack of faith, his sin or someone witch crafting. She rejoiced saying that, the sermon is prophecy for her.
Please note, Never the prosperity gospel, but the apostolic gospel and teaching increase the faith in Christ and establish the believers in the Word.
No comments:
Post a Comment