Thursday, March 6, 2014

God as the King

Once I prayed with Mark - Anna Bland in their home, I told in prayer: “Our Lord, I commit this family - Mark, Anna and Nora unto your feet.” (Elle was not born then). Soon after the Amen, Mark asked me why I prayed as committing them unto the feet of the LORD, where as he would have prayed as committing someone unto the hands of the Lord. Mark is a great thinker and his genuine question was to understand my world view.

Good time of thinking again what I am used to pray as routine, without paying much attention to the culture:

This is our culture: When presenting a gift to a king, or elders, or seeking their audience, or getting their blessing, we would place the gifts, child(ren) and ourselves unto (under) the feet of them. I think, this is the gesture of acknowledging the unquestionable sovereignty of the king and elders and the total subjection of the citizens and households.

May be this explains better: Giving in hands is followed between two equal parties; whereas placing under the feet is practiced between the Suzerain/Heads of the families and the subjects/ households.

Still in the Eastern part of India – Odisha and West Bengal - bowing down even to touch the feet of elders is practiced among Christians.

What about today's "Hi," and "Seeyaa Guys" culture to even elders?

No comments:

Post a Comment